Thursday, August 31, 2006

He'll always be the definitive Pa Kent

Well, Glenn Ford has passed away. For those of you who are really into classic films, he's probably best known for his role in "Gilda." A film best remembered for the scene where Rita Hayworth did that signature hair flip that became an iconographic moment for her, in fact so iconographic it's used in "The Shawshank Redemption."

I personally remember him for two films, "Superman" where he played Pa Kent. (If you look in on the mantle of the scenes in the Kent house in "Superman Returns" you can see a picture of Glenn Ford as Pa Kent there.) I also know him from "Midway" where he played Admiral Spruance, commander of the US Task Force that whipped the Japanese Fleet.

I've seen some of his older stuff, but I will always identify him with the first two roles I ever saw him play. He was a good solid actor, not flashy. I really can't think of anyone today would would be able to take his place as an understated lead, Maybe Tom Hanks now, or David Straitharn (sp?) (The guy who played Edward R. Murrow in "Good Night and Good Luck.")

No comments: