Monday, September 08, 2008

Hey, I'm no economist but...

Even I could tell the NPS and the Gettysburg Foundation that $8.00 to see a 22 minute movie is a really bad idea.

Which is apparently something that they have found out the hard way.

Now, I'm a fan of the NPS, Gettysburg NMP and museums in general. But I also am a private citizen who has a set amount of money that I can spend on fun stuff during a year. I would not spend $8 to see a 22 minute movie of any type. Even though the cause is just, I just don't see that I'm getting something worth my $8. I could see a 2 hour matinee for $8.

On the other hand, I'd gladly put a ten spot in the donation box at Gettysburg NMP just on principle.

Kinda contradictory? Yeah, maybe. But when I put the $10 in, I'm making the decision on my own to make a gift to a worthy cause. I'm not paying for the "privilege" to see a short film. And honestly, I don't feel like I need it. I've got a Master's in History with a specialization in the Civil War. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Now, Gettysburg is making what I think is another error in terms of their fee structure: A Fee to Enter the Museum

Again, this is a bad idea. I urge you, if you are also against this new fee, and I'm sure people have their own reasons, please visit that link above and comment. Now, remember, keep them civil, keep them logical or your comment won't really be taken seriously. I personally think the fee structure shouldn't be expanded to make-up for an earlier mistake in pricing. I think they should lower the fee for the film and enjoy the benefits of a larger number of viewers. (Since the film is about 1/4 the length of a movie, let's make it 1/4 the cost: $2) I'd pay that. No problem. And that sure makes things more reasonable for a family of 4 to see the movie as well.

Just my two cents.

No comments: