Monday, September 22, 2008

Dead Men...


Tell no tales?

Well, let's find out.

Now that my most recent graduate degree is done I've decided to start researching one of the most important company presidents in the history of the B&O Railroad; John Work Garrett.

First research foray is Friday, all day. I'm also pouring through copies of the Baltimore Sun, Washington Post and New York Times for mentions of Garrett and the B&O Railroad. I haven't even started going into the Civil War stuff in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. And there are company files and other documents that are yet to be discovered. Of course time, the Great Baltimore Fire and the 19th Century habit of destroying letters and documents that make an ancestor look bad will hamper this search.

The thing I'm pondering is organizing my research. I'm considering putting up a website and blog. I've seen other authors who do this and am not sure if it's worth doing, but it does allow for off-site storage of some data and possibly puts me in contact with people who may have more information. I'll think about that more as I continue to research.

No comments: