Saturday, June 05, 2010

Reading an economic history...

So, I've been reading the new Pulitzer Price winner for History, "Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World." And I must say I am of two minds on this book.

First, the topic covered is very interesting. There's a great deal of international and inter-agency action going on that is going to lead to the Great Depression.

BUT

Second, it's written in a rather dense style.

I don't mean it's a dense book in the sense that it's dumb-ed down, but rather it reads more like a scholarly history or an annual report than other "popular" history books.

My problem right now is, I'm not sure if I like this book or not. I don't DISLIKE it, but I'm not reading right through it like other history books I own. This is a very frustrating position for me to be in. If I disliked the book, I'd stop and give up on it. (Note to authors, if you don't hook me by chapter 1, look for your work to show up at the used book sale at the local library.) But I'm having trouble getting through this. I'm reading bit by bit each night. But as other books show up, like the latest Clive Cussler novel, they go to the top of the pile and Lords of Finance goes down a spot.

Has anyone else had this issue with a book. It's not bad enough to stop reading, but you just don't have the drive to burn right through it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, there are books on my list that are like that. If you check out my "currently reading", there are 4 books that I haven't touched in months, but I don't have the heart to say I've stopped reading them.

Nick said...

Ok, so I'm not the only one. Now of course, I'm 2 years away from the Great Depression in the book and the mistakes these bankers are making are starting to pile up.

Can we say "critical mass?"