Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Last week of laziness...

Okay, this is it. My last week off before the final quarter. I just got my grades for the previous quarter, they're all good so I just need three more credits to graduate with the Masters of Science in Library and Information Sciences aka MSLIS.

In keeping with my enjoyment of a week off, here's what I'm reading, in addition to the Forbes Trail Guide:

Yep, nothing else says a fun couple of weeks off than reading about the very violent end to World War Two in the Pacific.

Actually I'm a latecomer to Max Hastings' works. I picked up Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-1945 when I was commuting back and forth from Northern VA in 2005. I really enjoyed it. It was a broad sweeping history of the end of World War Two in Europe and very crisply written. He was able to cover the major topics without getting too far into the minutiae to bore readers but still provide enough detail to provide a clear picture of the events.

Retribution is so far written with the same quality. I'm very pleased he's actually writing about the war in Indochina which for most Americans is truly the forgotten theater of World War Two. There's more to come like the liberation of the Philippines and Iwo Jima and the bomb, but I haven't gotten there yet.

So, based on the first hundred pages I've read, I definitely recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject.

No comments: